Thursday, January 23, 2014

Kickstarter project Zipi attempts to solve an annoying question: I am done using my earpods, now what do I do with them? (UPDATED)


The Zipi is a Kickstarter project that appears simple at first glance, but after careful consideration listening to the founder message,  they appear to actually solve one of the first problems I have in my daily use of earpod headphones. I use earpods whenever I leave the house to go workout or when talking on the phone while trying to keep up with a 3 year old who loves to run around and play.

To solve this, the Zipi adds an around-the-neck strap to any existing pair of earpods, with a magnetic clip-on design. It connects via magnets at the back of your neck, like a lanyard for an ID badge or keys, and disconnects easily enough when you want to remove them, and prevents your earpods from falling to the ground to trip over or step on when you take them out of your ears.

Normally when I remove earpods on the go, I will hook them onto the front of my button up shirt or collar of my t-shirt or roll them up, velcro them together, and then jam them in a pocket that isn't associate with my keys (too much of a tangled mess even with the velcro). The result of the first situation, they almost always slide out or under my shirt and find their way to the ground where I either trip on them or they dangle very awkwardly.The other result, getting them out, un-velcro, and then putting them back in my ears takes what seems to be an enormous amount of time and energy, which is frustrating if you also happen to be carrying any bags or toddler or whatever.

Project creator Frank Cho has a Master’s degree from MIT in artificial intelligence (AI), as well as a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley in computer graphics.  He reveals the truth that the Zipi is his first time in product design, but still assures us of his realistic timeframe for delivery in early September and already he has fully functional prototype, so here is to cheering on that the Zipi meets its $6,000 funding goal.


UPDATE: The introductory $6 funding has met its limit but there is still the $10 funding level that still get you a Zipi in your choice of available colors.  Even at that level, I still think this is a great price if you find earpod management a bit frustrating.

Source: kickstarter.com; geek-gadgets.com;

No comments:

Post a Comment